General Info on Sales and Exhibitions-
Opportunities are available for all members to exhibit and sell their work throughout the year. We encourage all members to join us at these events. The following is important information on sales/exhibition etiquette.
1. All members who have submitted items for sale/exhibition are expected to volunteer to assist with related jobs. A variety of tasks will be assigned by the Exhibitions Chairperson according to members’ abilities.
2. Unless you have an assigned job during the sale, you cannot remain at the sale table or among the displays during the sale.
3. We ask that you respect other members and the policies of the club.
4. The decisions of the exhibitions committee are final.
5. The Lethbridge Artists Club will not be responsible for any loss or damages to artworks submitted for exhibition or sale.
Exhibition Policy –
1. All participating artists must complete an “Exhibition Label” for each painting they submit. These will be supplied to artists at the drop off location.
2. All paintings are to be properly strung with wire for safe hanging. Please read the Club’s Policy on proper wiring. A painting entered in a sale or exhibition may be rejected if it is not wired according to policy. Poor wiring can result in falling paintings and resulting damage.
3. All artworks are to be brought to the designated location on or before the advised time. The Exhibition Chairperson will compile a master list of all artworks for each exhibition.
4. There may be limitations on the number of works you may exhibit at any particular show.
5. 10% of any sale of exhibited works will be retained by The Lethbridge Artists Club as commission.
6. Only original work will be accepted for designated exhibitions. “Original” refers to paintings and work that are directly produced by the hand of the artist. An original can never be mechanically reproduced. Works must also be “original” in concept or composition.
7. Work is NOT deemed an original if it is reproducing an original.
8. Art created in a lesson or workshop is not considered original.
Digital Paintings must be considered differently. Photographs, digital art, and traditional printmaking (lithos, intaglios, serigraphs, relief prints, etc) are generally all considered prints (rather than reproductions). A unique digital drawing that has then been printed would technically be an “original” print, while a photograph of a painting that has then been printed would in no way be an original. It is important to refer to such works as prints. Prints can be made into limited editions, but that means the plate must be destroyed, or the digital file erased.
Sales Policy –
1. Prints are acceptable at designated sales.
2. At sales, paintings or drawings derived from another’s painting or drawing are acceptable only if credit is given on the label to the source. [For e.g. “Painting of a Tree (after Painting of a Tree by Rembrandt 1688)” by Jane Doe, 2019]; and if copyright is not breached.
3. Artists may be required to sign declarations on entry forms to attest to above conditions.
4. An entry fee may or may not be charged for items submitted for sale.
5. Members are responsible for picking up their items at the end of the sale.
6. All items must be ‘for sale’. No “NFS” (not for sale).
7. The number of pieces that each member can offer for sale will be determined in advance of each sale. These will a combination of “Wired for hanging” paintings and “Other” items. For hanging paintings only, an ‘Exhibition Label’ must be attached to the front of the painting.
8. 2 – part Sales tags must be attached to the back of all items (supplied at the sales venue).
9. Members will complete an ‘Entry” form which records artist’s info and lists the items for sale. It is recommended that the artist makes a duplicate for him/herself. This form will be sent to artists ahead of sale.
10. The Lethbridge Artists Club will charge a 10% commission on all sales on and off site.
THESE POLICIES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME
Classes & Workshops
1. Full payment for Class / workshop must be received by or before registration deadline.
2. In the event a Class is cancelled due to insufficient registration, a full refund will be given to each registrant.
3. If a registrant cancels or withdraws more than one week prior to the start date of a Class /workshop, The Lethbridge Artists Club will retain an administration fee of $15.00 for that particular class/workshop.
4. If the registrant cancels or withdraws less than one week prior to the start date of a class/workshop registered, the registrant will forfeit the full payment for that particular Class.
5. No refund will be given if a student cancels due to absenteeism.
The Lethbridge Artists Club reserves the right to review each individual’s request for refunds for Classes and Workshops.